Friday, June 22, 2012

No Keys



        The less you have, the more you will experience.  A car might get you to the grand canyon, but your feet will get you to the bottom of it.  This is a very important thing to consider when you're planning any adventure.  It's an inverse relationship, I suppose.  You might be able to pack up all the amenities of home in a nice big bag, but the bigger that bag gets, the less likely it is to make it to where you want to go.  I learned quickly that the best way to travel is light.  If I'm not gonna use it everyday (Sleeping gear, toiletries, camera), or I don't absolutely need it (food, flashlight, clothing), then I'm probably not going to bring it.  It keeps your days free of distractions and lets you really experience what you're doing.  One of my favorite things to leave behind is keys.  Keys are for people who have somewhere to be, or something keep away from others and even more than that, they're a symbol of responsibilities, and ties to the frantic modern world that you're probably trying to liberate yourself from when you're traveling.  On any adventure you should be opening up to others, not closing off, and the only place you have to be is right there in the moment, so why bring any keys?  I came up with this logic: 
(You might not totally agree with it, but it's treated me well so far.)    

adventures = freedom
freedom = no commitments holding you back


keys = ties to commitments 
Therefore, 
adventures = no keys

(I guess a car would be an exception,
but there are better and more fun 
ways of getting around)

So, maybe you see my logic, maybe not, but either way I always consider leaving a few things behind whenever I'm traveling about.  I might loose a few of the comforts of home, but they're more than made up for by new experiences.   

The summer solstice party is tonight.  I will be attending.  I will be bringing nothing but my camera.  


Have a liberated day.

No comments: