Friday, August 10, 2012

So, that's where they've been keeping it. . .



       Remember way back when, before the internet went viral.  When going on the internet actually was something?  I haven't fallen into the constant media trap like some others have, but even I strain to remember those times.  You had to sit down in front of a computer, dial up, wait for a connection, and then take care of the things you wanted to do on the internet in the time you had before you got up to do something else.  

      Now, anytime we want, we can do pretty much anything online anywhere we feel like it.  Its a good thing.  
      
      Now, all the time, we do everything we can online everywhere.  Its a bad thing.  
 
      I've given in comparatively very little to the social networking and instant information revolution thats been growing for years now.  I don't follow blogs or news from my phone unless I'm traveling and its my only option, my 200 per month texting plan rarely runs out of messages, and my Facebook status right now probably refers to something I did months ago.  You could say I haven't embraced the new technologies, but I haven't shunned them either -- they have their place.  I love that I can be in touch with anyone I know at a moments notice, but I also realize that just because I can do something doesn't mean I should.  It comes down to being where you are and experiencing what's going on right there right now.  I can't count the number of times I've heard a friend, hypnotized by their phone, say something to the effect of "Oh! So and so's camping… or swimming… or doing whatever else. They just posted it on Facebook." and thinking to myself "They're not camping. They're on Facebook!"   Other times it's just about being courteous to the people around you. These people have been kind enough to give some of their time to you.  You should return the gesture, and not distract yourself with others who couldn't, or just wouldn't make time for you.  Time is, after all, the most valuable thing each of us have to give or to keep for ourselves.
  If you spend all your time constantly telling people what you're doing or keeping up with what other people are doing, then you aren't ever really there doing what you are doing, and you're going to miss a lot.  So, when you're camping, be camping; when you're eating a nice meal, be there eating a nice meal; and when you have some time to sit down and catch up online at the end of the day, or at the beginning of the day (or even both!) then be there, catching up online.   


Have a conscious day.

No comments: